Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sound Assignment 1A

During the Assignment 1A workshop, I wrote themes for each sound library. My group’s theme was “aimless”. Of course, we had the assignment to guide us in collecting sounds, but we sort of just wandered around seeing what sounds we could collect and what sorts of things we could shake/drop/manipulate to make sounds that we thought would amuse the class.

I guess what I really learned from this assignment is to loosen up. I have a tendency to take my school work very seriously, and that often means that I forget to have fun in the field. Nate’s willingness to kick/shake things really helped me to remember that this stuff is allowed to be playful and fun.

I realize that this reflection should be more about what I learned about sound.

I think that forcing us to live without the visual will heighten my appreciation to sound. I began thinking intensely about sound during my Intro to Editing class last semester, but I didn’t feel like I really spent enough time on it—I was more immediately focued on getting aclimatized with Final Cut Pro. This part of the assignment—in addition to the second part—have really helped me think about sound and how useful it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment