So, I dragged Caitlin out for some short films on Thursday night (the one with all of the S's). I think the coolest thing about it (besides sitting in front of a really awesome lady) was that she actually enjoyed some of it. The Screen Gems logo spoof actually filled her with real rage (we can't even talk about it without her getting red in the face), but she really like God of Love (more on that later) and Regular Kids (Go Pack!).
God of Love was by far my favorite film of the night. As the film reached its conclusion, it hit me that the filmmaker was also the star and the writer/director (before the credits rolled). I'm not really sure what the hint was that set off the alarm in my head, but I just remembered thinking it as the camera lingered on a close up of the filmmaker/protagonist. That movie kicked so much ass, and I recommend that everyone, who has ever taken a breath, should see it--even if it was narrative ;).
Elsewhere (another MFA project) was also really interesting. I'm still not really sure if I enjoyed it though. I think for people, who live in Greensboro and know more about the location it may have been more rewarding. I'll have to file this in the rewatch category.
The other most memorable film we watched was Regular Kids (shot by our very own Glenn Pack). It was really quite good. It was a very heartwarming mainstream family friendly movie (adjectives, much?). The fact that it was a true story made it even sweeter--plus, Caitlin actually enjoyed it, and that meant it was an awesomely joint experience.
I wish I could've seen some crazy cool experimental or documentary shorts, but the conference beckoned--it was awesome. I did get to do some cool film studenty stuff while I was there. Andy and Matt showed up to get some footage of Sara Issacson for their 495 so, I got to help out a bit (Food Not Bombs family and all that). I even made them both stay and listen to Annise Parker speak--it was amazing and moving, just ask him.
No comments:
Post a Comment